Reiki for Animals
Reiki is a hands-on healing method that originated in Japan. It is used easily on animals and humans. It can be applied “in person” or remotely. Working with animals is similar but not identical with working with humans. The Reiki practitioner channels healing energy through his or her hands to the animal through a light touch either directly on the body or from a distance. The word Reiki (pronounced “ray-key”) is a Japanese composite word usually translated as “universal life energy”. It is based on the idea that all living beings have life energy flowing through them. When life energy is high, your pets are healthy and balanced, more relaxed and less likely to get sick. When it is low, animals and people are more easily affected by stress and less resistant to illness. Reiki is a safe complement to conventional Western medicine, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine, homeopathy and all other forms of healing. Animals, especially cats, are naturally receptive to the Reiki energy and tend to gravitate towards it readily. Some animals may prefer to experience the energy from a slight distance, rather than having the practitioner’s hands directly on them.
Reiki sessions for animals typically last 15-30 minutes. The frequency of sessions depends entirely on each individual animal’s health status and needs. Some health issues can be resolved in two or three sessions, others may take ongoing sessions on a recurring basis.
Benefits of Reiki for Pets:
- Enhances overall well-being.
- Just like people, even healthy animals can have occasional physical, emotional and mental imbalances that, if left untreated, can manifest as illness. Periodic Reiki treatments can help maintain your companion’s natural state of well-being and balance.
- Strengthens the immune system for cancer therapies or surgery.
- Cancer therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation present stress to an already compromised immune system. This is also true many times if surgery is necessary. Reiki strengthens the immune system to better deal with this additional stress. It helps alleviate or prevent the side effects of conventional cancer treatments and provides pain relief.
- Reiki accelerates healing following surgery or illness. If an animal has gone through surgery, Reiki will speed the immune response and quicken the recovery time. Because Reiki has an intelligence “built in”, the flow will adjust to what the animal can use and not be overpowering or enervating.
- Reiki can alleviate and prevent side effects of conventional medications such as pain killers and antibiotics, and provides pain relief and relaxation to facilitate and enhance the body’s natural healing response.
- Increases trust and bonding between you and your animal companion.
- People and their animal companions often mirror each others’ physical and emotional states. Animals are natural healers and sometimes take on their person’s problems, often in an attempt to heal them. This happens because of the deep bond shared between the animal and his or her person. Because of the shared energy in such a close relationship, energetic imbalances are shared as well. For optimum healing, joint treatments for people and their animal friend can often be beneficial.
- Can help with behavior issues by promoting relaxation and stress reduction. Many behavior issues are caused by stress. Reiki has a calming effect and may help make the animal more receptive to training and behavior modification.
- Reiki is extremely beneficial for animals with a history of abuse. The gentle touch and the energy can help restore trust in animals who have learned to associate touch with being hurt.
- Provides comfort and relieves pain, anxiety and fear for terminally ill animals.
- Reiki is a wonderful way to facilitate the transition for terminally ill animals and their owners. Often, animals will not allow themselves to transition because they intuitively feel that their person is not ready to let them go. Joint Reiki treatments for the animal and his or her person can help both through this difficult time by enhancing the bond and allowing a gentle transition.
In Home Treatments
Reiki treatments are either given in the pet’s home or remotely. Please send us an email to find out if you are in my travel area. Most pets take to the energy readily and enjoy hands-on treatments. Some pets may be more comfortable from a slight distance. Treatment is effective whether hands on or remotely given.
Reiki can be given remotely. Distance healing, also known as remote healing, is an energetic healing process that can be best explained through the principles of Quantum physics. It has been proven to be extremely effective, sometimes even more effective than local, hands-on healing. We like to know the species of animal, breed and his or her name. It also helps to have a photo if not working in person. To understand better how this works, please visit our page about Animal Communication.